Hearts & Minds BookNotes

annotations, blurbs and ruminations

to enlarge the heart & stimulate the mind

and to happily generate mail order business for Hearts & Minds bookstore

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallastown, PA

My lovely wife Beth and I own and operate--proprietors makes us sound more classy than we really are--a cluttered, diverse and independent bookstore in Central Pennsylvania. After well over 20 years, we are still not sure what to say when people ask if our shop is a "Christian bookstore." I do a monthly book review column over at our website; we hope that these new blogged bits will afford friends and customers the chance to see other books I happen to be reading, wishing to read, pretending that I read or at least believe that others should, if not read, know about. We have three children, attend a Presbyterian church in York, PA and have no hobbies.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Shane Clairborne's Irresistible Revolution on the Radio


You most likely read at least some of my lengthy review of The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical by Shane Claiborne back in March at our Hearts & Minds website. I think I raved and critiqued in helpful ways, and we are selling a few of the book; not enough, but more than most places. (Blog special, still, by the way, we sell IR for $10.00 ) We find ourselves eager to tell folks about it, and it is fun to hear reactions as people read, are moved by and enjoy the plucky call to radical Christian discipleship from this young prankster who loves Jesus. He takes seriously deep theology and lives practically, trying to be faithful to a new way of life in the midst of the worst hurts of our fallen world.

I have a dozen new other books I want to tell you about---one on the Christian mind and the important of reading which I will post soon--- and I have promised to review some extraordinary fiction, too, but tonight, I just got info that Shane is going to be on the Steve Brown radio show soon. It is a live stream on line, and I guess a radio show, aired later. I think hearing this interview will be fabulous---Steve is open-minded and culturally-savvy, if more socially and theologically conservative than Shane (does anybody recall the TV shows that we now rent as videos, where Steve Brown & Tony Campolo argue in a set designed to look like a diner with the waitress as the host? Nice.) Please spread the word of the chance to hear Shane on the air, this Friday, 12 noon.

Here is a link to the Steve Brown podcast info. http://www.stevebrownetc.com/

Here is a link to a blog that says it more attractively, a blog about the podcast. The fun part here, though, are the posts about Shane (and the art of posting blog comments) all in haikus. Who are these guys, who write in the style of Japanse poetry? http://pingetcetera.blogspot.com/

Join the Revolution. Not the haiku one, but Shane's Irresistible one. Which, I'd say, is really Jesus's. At least listen up on-line Friday, 12-2 EST.

Does anybody know more about the details of the actual radio times? Or is etcetera only streaming podcast? I know Brown is on Radio America, too. (This is complicated, but ping is a blog which lives to promote the Steve Brown etcetera radio (podcast) show. Is it on real radio? Help!)