Hearts & Minds BookNotes

annotations, blurbs and ruminations

to enlarge the heart & stimulate the mind

and to happily generate mail order business for Hearts & Minds bookstore

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallastown, PA

My lovely wife Beth and I own and operate--proprietors makes us sound more classy than we really are--a cluttered, diverse and independent bookstore in Central Pennsylvania. After well over 20 years, we are still not sure what to say when people ask if our shop is a "Christian bookstore." I do a monthly book review column over at our website; we hope that these new blogged bits will afford friends and customers the chance to see other books I happen to be reading, wishing to read, pretending that I read or at least believe that others should, if not read, know about. We have three children, attend a Presbyterian church in York, PA and have no hobbies.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Visit the April column: Books on Earth-Keeping and Creation-Care


I thought I should provide a link to our April column over at the website, www.heartsandmindsbooks.com. (Click on the April 07 highlighted spot, under the bookcover.) The monthly review essay this time includes some very personal stuff about my (mostly previous) life as an enviromental activist, working to educate folk about stuff likeThree Mile Island, hearing Kurt Vonnegut and how Christian faith has motivated us to care about peace, justice, and, as some put it, "the integrity of creation." If you don't care about my revelations of former escapades, jump part way through where I annotate a bunch of books on creation care, Earth-keeping, and mention a brand new book that I am very, very excited about, by a hero of mine, Bob Goudzewaard. Those important books ought not be missed.

Please pay the website a visit. Do any of these books seem urgent to you? Are you not glad that evangelical leaders, especially, are so outspoken these days about God's good Earth?