Hearts & Minds BookNotes

annotations, blurbs and ruminations

to enlarge the heart & stimulate the mind

and to happily generate mail order business for Hearts & Minds bookstore

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallastown, PA

My lovely wife Beth and I own and operate--proprietors makes us sound more classy than we really are--a cluttered, diverse and independent bookstore in Central Pennsylvania. After well over 20 years, we are still not sure what to say when people ask if our shop is a "Christian bookstore." I do a monthly book review column over at our website; we hope that these new blogged bits will afford friends and customers the chance to see other books I happen to be reading, wishing to read, pretending that I read or at least believe that others should, if not read, know about. We have three children, attend a Presbyterian church in York, PA and have no hobbies.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Preaching & Pastoring: A Provisional Miscellany

I guess it would be overstating it to say it is a Christmas present to our faithful readers---yes, it really would be an overstatement. But you still might make you jolly to know that I've done a new, long bibliography over at the website. You may recall that I (used to) do a monthly Book Review Article, and those longer reviews are all archived.

Although I've skipped doing them this fall, I've just posted one for November. October and December ones may follow soon (I hope) and then, early in January, we will post the "Hearts & Mind Best of the Year list", which will be quirky, diverse, interesting and a list of great quality. We got great feedback from last years, so we hope to have the drum roll and awards presentation for '06 within a few weeks. But I'm ahead of myself.

For Christmas (after the O Holy Night clip I posted Christmas Eve) please enjoy the Hearts & Minds website Monthly Book Review, which is a two-fer. One is a list of recommendations on pastoral leadership, the next is one on preaching. I list some really great books, and describe them in ways that I hope is enticing. Maybe you could pass the list around to those who might find it useful. (That would be a Christmas gift to us, sharing our efforts with others.)

Please click here or visit www.heartsandmindsbooks.com. Thanks.